Thursday, August 10, 2006

 

Unrealistic Expectations

I was reading this article just now at Islam Online, which is one of my favorite places to go for Islamic stuff. But this one really sort of irritated me. It speaks about the people of the Middle East calling for a boycott of American products. Firstly, many of the young people in the ME are addicted to their McDonald's, Coke, Pepsi and various other American export items, especially in countries that are pretty westernized (i.e. Egypt). I don't think those particular countries are going to get too involved in a boycott that might disrupt their "normal" way of living and socializing. Secondly, a boycott on American products in the Muslim world means that many Muslims in America will also be hurt by their hot-headedness as many of the exports are made by Muslim companies, and/or Muslim employees of non-Muslim companies. Take Denmark, for instance. Many Muslim businesses were hurt severely by the boycott after the Prophet Mohamed cartoon issue, for the same reason. Many Danish products exported to the ME are done so by Muslim companies.
I agree that this is a more "peaceful" way to get your point across--much better than plotting to dessimate 10 airplanes midflight over the Atlantic simultaneously--but there are still better ways which would be more effective than trying to pull the spoiled elite out of the Burger joint. Simply put, a boycott of Mickey D's sounds good, but those mobile-phone junkies who WILL roll their eyes while they take another bite of their Big Mac will simply make the whole thing INeffective. I wish I could say I knew what the solution is, but I don't know, and since I don't know, it is best to support peaceful objection in a way that doesn't promote hatred of any race or culture. I am, after all, a spoiled American, who likes BK (McDs would be blaspemy now that Karim manages a BK).
Also, it doesn't do American Muslims any favors by boldly letting the American public see that Muslims outside of America are "haters of America". They don't understand that those of us here are here because we like the country. This is one of the reasons why we are harassed (I was harassed today at work, as a matter of fact), and pinpointed by hate groups and the media. (Which, to me are one and the same).
If Muslims the world over would just rely on Allah (God) the way we are supposed to according to the Holy Qur'an, we wouldn't be in half the messes we are in right now.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?